He began his journalism career as a writer and has covered Africa
for 10 years. He turned to photography in 2005
and was awarded the World Press Photo of the Year
in 2006 for his image of a mother and child at
an emergency feeding center in Niger.
He is published widely in leading international
magazines and newspapers and his solo exhibition,
“Congo On The Wire” has shown in France and Canada.
His series on white poverty in South Africa was included
in the exhibition “After A” in Italy in 2010.
Finbarr is among those profiled in the film
“Under Fire: Journalists in Combat,” trailer (November 2011).
The film was shortlisted for an Oscar at the 2012 Academy Awards.
• World Press Photo of the Year 2006
• POYi First Place Multimedia 2009
• POYi Judge’s Special Recognition One Week’s Work 2010
• NPPA International News Story 3rd Place 2011
• NPPA First Place Portrait 2010
• NPPA Portrait HM 2005
• UNICEF Photo of the Year 2007 HM
*all images copyright Reuters
• NYT Lens blog From the Marine’s side of the camera
• NYT Lens blog South Africa white poverty
• NYT Lens blog Afghan doors
• NYT Lens blog on Libya’s revolution road
• NYT Lens blog on caricaturing Gaddafi
• Congo journal
• Caught in a rebel offensive in Chad
• Congo’s house of hope
• Ambushed by the Taliban